Sunday, June 30, 2013

SAFELY enjoying the great Outdoors

Hi Everyone,

I am normally outdoors exercising (weather permitting) and it occurred to me the other day while trail running alone....and no one was on the trail, which is quite odd as it is usually frequented. I realized that there are some extra safety items that I need to get since I'm going out alone:

  1. Whistle - in case I don't have the strength to yell or need to call attention to myself
  2. Mini first aid kit
    • I carry band-aids, antiseptic ointment, blister cream and Tylenol
  3. Water 
  4. Gel or Energy Bar in case I go longer than anticipated 
  5. Medical ID card or bracelet

Some items that I am thinking about getting however not really sure....
  1. Swiss Army Pocket Knife?? 
    • Maybe come in handy. I've also heard that someone protected himself against a mountain lion attack with his pocket knife, yet going up against a mountain lion with a tiny knife is a feat in itself...
  2. Pepper spray or some other sort of protection
    • Honestly, I'm not a big fan of this and think I would carry this if I was more of an urban runner

Any other suggestions? Or is this overkill?

No comments:

Post a Comment